I had this red dupioni (it has a texture to it but it is not very slubby) silk in my stash from a very good ebay deal. So I decided to make something I could use for various parts of the 16th century in a pinch, depending on what I wear with it. This actually started out as part of my Halloween costume but I never found the right material for the purple over gown.
Cotton twill interlining in the bodice and lined in linen, skirt is unlined but finished with french seams and the hem is bound with scraps of the same silk.
The skirt was gathered by hand using the "eyeball and measure with half the needle depth method". I then turned the gathers on their side so they became almost like tiny knife pleats. They have a bit of irregularity to them but I'm good with that. I doubt that tailors would mark out every dot when gathering a ruff or cartridge pleating a skirt, they had better things to do.
I am wearing my new hand sewn linen/cotton shirt under it and my usually red petticoat.
The kirtle laces up on the sides with hand sewn eyelets done with silk thread this time.
The sleeves pin on for the moment, I am tempted to do tiny gold buttons to dress it up a bit or maybe something less flashy.
The belt is from my "mockado" Tudor gown, but I finally got around to making the tassels for it and tacking them on and the veil is silk gauze.